Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Fruits of the Spirit

The theme for the 2011 camp season is "Taste & See:  God is good!" Anyone who knows me knows how much I enjoy food. My best friend and I have been cooking together since we were kids. Back then we came up with concoctions that weren't so tasty, but we, like cheese, have grown better with age. Decades later, our conversations continue to frequently turn to food, favorite recipes, and desserts. I have spent much of my life as a hard-core chocolate lover, but during my years at the Brew, my tastes expanded and I developed a love for all things almond as well. A wonderful baker from Germany worked with us and she introduced me to marzipan. I was hooked instantly!  
So when it came time to come up with fun activities for summer camp, the on-site host, Sara Gibson, and I, immediately thought of marzipan--she too, is a fan, and really, once you taste it, who isn't? Sara is a "jump in with both feet" kind of girl (a quality I deeply admire) and had experience with both marzipan and making fondant frosting...My only experience was related to eating it! So this afternoon we decided to test our idea and created these lovely little marzipan morsels. We had so much fun creating them and we can't wait to see what fruits & veggies the campers will create this weekend!

1 comment: